Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ski Trab Stelvio FreeRide Alpine Ski

I know I indicated more packs next time, but since I just managed to put my skis down for the summer, they were on my mind (and yes, that's a long time to wait to wax, sharpen and put away these tools, but what can I say I'm slow.)

When these arrived at my local ski shop, the employees were all stunned. I think the comment was 'sorry they're so wet, we've all been drooling all over them.' The more meaningful indication of their quality was that the 2 skis measured exactly the same in grams: basically unheard of. These are a tremendous ski for the weight, and even without that consideration they are an excellent item.

I used it out of bounds in UT, at Solitude, and in the backwoods of the Adirondacks. Therefore they had a chance to play in 1+ foot power, and on rain hardened ice, and everything in between. They did just dandy on all of that. I went relatively short - I'm 6'2", ski these with a 25-45 lb pack and am 190+ - and the 178 is great. I am not a super aggressive skier, and at higher speeds on groomers there was very little chatter - although the light weight was notable. An excellent item and if on sale a great value. Paired with TLT Speed Turns (first generation) and boots ranging from the old Blue Garmont Super Rides (pretty comfortable) to Dynafit TLT 5s (yellow and mellow) all the way to TLT 7s (light, right, stiffer than peers and super comfortable.). They ski so well I put them on an adjustable heel so they can be skied by many, for years to come. Lack of rocker not a notable lack in terms of powder performance, although it is nicer with rocker if you can float the soft as you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment